Wednesday 15 August 2007

I've found my wheels but....

......I'm beginning to realise that we're at that time of year when the end of the road racing season is coming into sight, and you start to evaluate your results versus targets. It's either a case of nice work, keep it up - or must try harder, need to race more. For me, it's definitely the latter.

Now I've always been one to heed the school reports and pull my socks up when told - only problem is now, when I look at the diary I can't find the races to do. I'm booked up doing other things. I've already missed 3 women's team series races due to being elsewhere. When they were in Naseby I was in Kent, when they were in Stratford I was in Edinburgh. They'll be at Darley Moor, and I'll be in Pau.

I have managed to get down to the track at Herne Hill regularly, and over to Hillingdon for the women's evening races. But that hasn't given me much opportunity to score British Cycling points. Yes, I'm content with my 26 third category points. But if I want to reach second I'm gonna have to race right up to September 30th. So that won't leave me any break between road stuff and the cyclo cross season.

I could just say, well, I've scored more points than last year so I'm content where I am. But I feel ashamed that newer, less experienced, and slower racers than me are already second category. What's all that about ?? Well, I suppose it's down to their clever planning while I was horsing around.

When I had the time, I didn't have the motivation. Now I've got the motivation I realise I don't have the time. C'est la Vie.

I can't say my reasons for not being available to race are displeasurable. I was up in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival. Had a great time there. I've got my young nephew over this w/e, so an excuse to go to the fun fair, and the zoo etc. Then off on holiday. Can't complain really.

I'll just have to give it my best shot for what is left of the road season, and learn from it for next year.
For next year I will definitely be pulling my socks up - sharp and on the double - as my teacher used to say !

No comments: