Wednesday 16 December 2009

Back in the Saddle and Happy


It's four weeks since I sprained my ankle. After all this time hobbling around with strapping and being beholden to London Transport to get around, I can now say I'm on the mend. I'm still getting twinges, but that's bearable.

I can now walk around for more than 10 minutes without my ankle swelling up, and more importantly I can ride my bicycle.
Not only can I pedal but I can also twist my foot into and out of the spd cleats - something I'd been completely incapable of doing previously. Caution, I say spd cleats. I'm not sure I can graduate to Look pedals just yet. As we are still in the cyclo cross season spd's are more the order of the day in any case so not using Look pedals isn't a great loss.

The bottom line is that I feel free again. I can walk around without worrying about the distance. I don't have to suffer the idiosyncracies of our public transportation system. I can skip up the stairs without thinking afterwards, "oh I shouldn't have done that", and I can do my favourite sport.

My ankle has returned to its customary duties and has let me get back in the saddle. I've ridden my bike a little abit every day since Sunday, and I can feel a few kgs coming off - which is always a bonus!

The other good reason why I'm pleased to be back in action is that I now know I can go on the cross country ski-ing trip I'd planned, and I will actually be able to make the most of it. It would have been a shame to have spent all that money just to stare out of the window at a snow-covered mountain. So I will hopefully return from the trip with even more vigour, zest and energy to do more bike riding.

No comments: