Monday 10 September 2012

One Day One Photo - 7

Friday 7th September

When people talk about going to Milan, they often talk about going shopping there. All the lovely shopping galleries and designer fashion labels all packed into one small area does make the place very appealing and it is true that alot of Milanesi people are very stylish-looking as they ooze Versace, Prada and Gucci etc.

To be honest, I don't think they all really wear that. Salaries are taking a real hit in the current economic crisis, so I think it is more likely they are going to the big outdoor market along the boulevard near where I live. Even in Milan, the clothes on a bog standard market look stylish though - and the Italians know how to wear them well.

I have to say I am not a fan of shopping. I only go when I need to, and I keep the process brief, clinical and browse-free! I was excited about spending time in Milan, though as much as the fashion shops on via Torino and in the galleries look nice, they leave me fairly indifferent.
The place where I have taken to shopping on a regular basis though, is Decathlon. The French chain of sports shops is everywhere it seems. I didn't go to the one in London so much because it seemed to be in a location that was a bit out of my way, and involved a special trip there.

The location of the one in Milan though is great. It's right in the centre of the city and a 15-minute walk from where I live. For a central Milan shop, they have alot of space as well. I have bought alot of biking accessories there, stuff for when I went hiking recently, and even everyday items like sun protection cream which is good quality and good value for money.

Like with other branches of Decathlon, people are free to try stuff out within the shop. This means that on a Saturday afternoon the place can be a bit of a hazard when parents turn up with their bambini to buy them a new bicycle or rollerskates. There are lots of kids in Milan - so that's alot of skatesboards, rollerskates and bicycles to dodge! But I don't mind that. Everyone there is into activity and the outdoors and I feel good in these types of places.
Going to this sports shop is always a pleasant experience - and the staff are helpful. That's the sort of shopping that excites me.

No comments: